"Our lives are not as limited as we think they are; the world is a wonderfully weird place; consensual reality is significantly flawed; no institution can be trusted, but love does work; all things are possible; and we all could be happy and fulfilled if we only had the guts to be truly free and the wisdom to shrink our egos and quit taking ourselves so damn seriously."
-Tom Robbins

Friday, August 27, 2010

Una entrada breve

First week down- several more to go. I'm really starting to get comfortable here and loving it more and more. Today was a fun day- only one patient for my study in the morning, and none in the afternoon. Fridays are generally slow. Mondays are the busiest for sure.
This afternoon was great- mostly Doris and I talking a ton about English and Spanish. We've moved past just working on my Spanish, to now working on her English as well- it's a blast.
I'm pumped for tonight because we are celebrating all of the birthdays that were in August.
I want to tell you guys about Thursday. Well, first, it's interesting to note that Wednesday's here are "pregnant lady day". It's the only day a week we perform ultrasounds, so the pregnant women and girls all come in to have that done. It's amazing that our clinic does so much for pregnant women in the area.
So Thursday a woman was in labor for most of the day. I wanted to observe the birth, but there were already a ton of people in the room and I didn't want to crowd everyone. Ashley and I were hanging outside of the room waiting to see what was going on for most of the time. When Deysi and the other nurses walked out I was able to peek in. I will never forget this image- I saw Rosbinda stitching the mother. It was only for a moment, but kind of surreal. She looked so calm yet so incredibly badass.
Afterwards I wanted to help somehow. I asked Deysi if she needed help and she told me I could help clean the instruments- I was really excited to do that, as odd as that seems. But that was all the direction I got... So I went into a room with a sink and sat there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Eventually, I got Ashley to help, but then there were two confused people. Long story short, I ended up almost using gasoline to clean them...yea, don't ask.
Think I'll end the post here- nothing really exciting going on currently, hopefully I'll have stories after the weekend.
I'm posting a picture of where we wash dishes below...

Oh, and I've been dreaming in spanish...good sign, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment