"Our lives are not as limited as we think they are; the world is a wonderfully weird place; consensual reality is significantly flawed; no institution can be trusted, but love does work; all things are possible; and we all could be happy and fulfilled if we only had the guts to be truly free and the wisdom to shrink our egos and quit taking ourselves so damn seriously."
-Tom Robbins

Friday, November 5, 2010

This is a reminder for me to write about the amazing people that are involved with Shoulder to Shoulder. I don't think I realized before I came here the type of organization that S2S is. It blows my mind to hear the stories of those that come through here. Take Ed Zuroweste for one. He has been involved with S2S for several years and he brings med students from Hopkins down frequently. The man isn't real- for lack of a better description, he is inspiring. He is genuine, humble, and exudes positive energy. Not to mention he has done incredible things with his life. Today on the way to Banaderos for a paquete basico, he tells Ashley and me about his times with his good buddy, Paul Farmer- about the dinners and debates he, Paul, and Jeff heck have had. Also about his work with the WHO and his own Migrant Clinicians Network. If you had told me this time last year, as I was sitting in class reading Paul Farmer and further delving into my interest in combining anthropology and medicine, that I was going to be here now meeting such people, I would have laughed and said that would be wonderful, but not exactly realistic.
It's funny- I knew for so long and never doubted that I would leave the US after graduation, and I knew I was going to make it happen somehow, but when I found a way to get to Honduras, I didn't think too deeply about it, I was just ready to go. Lately I've just been focusing on my work and not really thinking too deeply about things- a great way to go about things I've decided. And while I am still in a non-reflective mood lately, I can't help but think about what I'm seeing and doing here. It then follows to question and wonder what I'll be doing after this, what everyone will be doing after our brief lives here.
Just a few things bouncing around in my head now...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds reflective to me, I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah of course we wrote about the same thing at almost the same time :) lovelovelove it!

    ReplyDelete